Thursday, July 9, 2009

Banana Flower

Image010  Image035
I took this two pictures of banana flower in Seng Kang Riverwalk Park, it were blooming lovely side by side, I think these are two types of banana tree, the red colour flowers banana tree is bearing the fruits. I know that the banana flower is treated in several Asian and tropical cuisines as a vegetable. I was told that in Thailand, a fresh, tender banana flower may be sliced and served raw, and accompanied by the hot and spicy dip called nam prik. It is also served simmered in soup or fried with thin noodles. Other Asian and Indian cuisines add the sliced banana flower to meat stews, stir-fries, soups, and rice or noodle combinations.
I always buy the fresh banana leaves to bake fish, but no idea how does that banana flower taste.  I found this  The Banana Flower Experiment,  I wish I could try to make some salads with banana flowers, but no idea where I can buy it.

1 comment:

Ritambhara said...

i have never seen a banana flower pointing towards sky...in Indian sp they bow down and grow